• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Vera, Garza file third lawsuit against Zuffa in antitrust class action

December 26, 2014 by Jason Cruz 6 Comments

A third lawsuit was filed on behalf of fighters against Zuffa in the Antitrust Class Action lawsuit in San Jose.  Brandon Vera and Pablo Garza were the two plaintiffs in this particular lawsuit which was filed on Christmas Eve.

“The Truth” was thought of in high regard by the UFC at one time.  But, he was derailed by contract issues in 2006 which had him embroiled in a civil lawsuit with his former manager.  Vera came back to the UFC but never lived up to the lofty expectations.  Vera was released from the UFC in June 2014 after a 9 year career with the company.  According to Vera, he turned down the UFC’s offer to extend his contract.   Dana White indicated to Vera that White wanted to “fix this” but communication between the two stalled after that.  Vera later found out through social media that he was released by the UFC. Vera signed with OneFC and fought earlier this past month.  Vera indicated, per MMA Fighting, that White congratulated him about the signing.  According to the article, Vera stated he had “no hard feelings with White in particular.” However, he stated that he had wished the UFC had “handled things differently.”

Pablo Garza fought with the UFC from December 2010 until April 2013.  According to Bloody Elbow, in 2012 Garza refused to sign a petition which stated the UFC was not a monopoly and that fighters are treated fairly.

MMA Payout has not seen the third lawsuit as of this writing, we will update if needed.  But, one might expect the lawsuit to mirror the two previous ones filed in San Jose.  As with the previous two, there is no word of service of the Complaint or whether Zuffa’s legal team will waive service to allow for more time to respond.

There has not been an official statement released by the UFC on this third lawsuit (or the second for that matter).

Payout Perspective:

In my parts, there is usually a “gentleman’s/gentlewoman’s agreement” about filing things on Christmas Eve although there was no need to respond by Zuffa on Wednesday.  Regardless, Vera is a noteworthy plaintiff in this action since he had contractual issues with the company dating back to 2006.  Garza also may be an interesting plaintiff based on his representation that he was asked to sign a document stating that the UFC was not a monopoly.  Of interest would be whether the UFC allowed the fighters to review it, how much time they had to review it and if they were allowed to have an attorney review it.

MMA Payout will keep you posted on the situation as the lawsuits continue to come in.

Filed Under: Antitrust Class Action, Featured, legal, UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. tops E says

    December 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/12/26/7451175/cook-ufc-moving-fight-promoter-to-world-renowned-sports-media-entertainment-company-mma

    The future of the ufc hahahaha…an events company or wwe hahahahaha….theyre branding themselves differently because they cant be a global sport to compete with other global sports….blue ocean strategy? hahahahaha

    Reply
  2. tops E says

    December 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm

    Whats next concert promotions? Hahahaha….the ufc brand has peaked and now will decline…..

    Reply
  3. Saldathief says

    December 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm

    The ufc is just a bunch of pee pee touchers! Who are they fucking kidding.

    Reply
  4. d says

    December 27, 2014 at 4:55 pm

    Sal is a professional pee pee toucher. Arum will tell you.

    Reply
  5. saldathief says

    December 27, 2014 at 11:30 pm

    More to come haha. They can call themselves anything they want but we know what the ufc is and isn’t. UFC to be up for sale soon hahaha Hurry!!!

    Reply
  6. d says

    December 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm

    Sal smells like poop.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

Conor McGregor returns July 11th

Keane’s attorneys fire back at Top Rank based on undiscovered evidence

White writes letter to Trump requesting change to law

UFC Freedom 250 kits revealed

Dominance responds to Plaintiffs’ Fee Request

Senate makes mockery of Ali Act hearing

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

#NBA should be ashamed of themselves, there is no way Alex Caruso can just lock down Wemby like that without fouling him every single time.

Oh boy JP #Mariners

Chet Holmgren getting exposed

Guys just holding Wembys arms no foul

Just flip flop and foul #fokc

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports