• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Mayweather-Ortiz gate: $9 million but over 3,000 tickets unsold

September 28, 2011 by Jason Cruz 4 Comments

The Nevada Athletic Commission last week announced the official gate and attendance for the Floyd Mayweather, Jr.-Victor Ortiz fight. The fight received a $9 million gate with 13,364 tickets sold which made it the 14th largest fight in Las Vegas history.

The Nevada Athletic Commission confirmed the numbers via email to MMA Payout.

Gate – $9,000,000

Tix sold – 13,364

Unsold – 3,052

Comps – 1,268

Payout Perspective:

Showtime’s Al Bernstein tweeted some reasons this fight might not have been a sellout: expensive tickets, Ortiz not a known name outside of hardcore boxing fans and the co-promoted fight at the Staples Center.

The Staples Center event, held in conjunction with Mayweather-Ortiz, was to enhance the SoCal audience by having people come watch live fights then watch Mayweather-Ortiz on the big screens at Staples. However, it could have harmed some of the live gate in Las Vegas if you assume that some fight fans would have taken the short flight or take the drive to Vegas. Still, 3,000 tickets unsold and over 1,200 comped seems like a big figure for tickets not purchased.

Despite these numbers, the PPV revenue could level this disparity although there are rumors that PPV sales may be weak.

Filed Under: boxing, gate

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. mmaguru says

    September 29, 2011 at 5:56 am

    Hmm, 1.3 million low estimate for PPV numbers weak? Seems to be a good average number for boxing these days. I don’t believe it will hit the 1.7 million that was rumored though.

    Reply
  2. Diego says

    September 29, 2011 at 6:24 am

    Gee, so Floyd will make a paltry $30M instead of $40M. He must be devastated.

    Reply
  3. Machiel Van says

    September 29, 2011 at 7:43 am

    Don’t forget that Floyd put up $10 million to market the fight. He probably will be a bit disappointed. He’s probably also regretting all those idiotic retirements.

    Reply
  4. Jason Cruz says

    September 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

    It makes you think whether Floyd would be more inclined to entertain a fight with Pacquiao in 2012.

    The only other fight that might seem entertaining is Amir Khan.

    Of course, $25-$30M is pretty good to sit on for a while.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

Scott Coker returns to MMA

Conor McGregor returns July 11th

Keane’s attorneys fire back at Top Rank based on undiscovered evidence

White writes letter to Trump requesting change to law

UFC Freedom 250 kits revealed

Dominance responds to Plaintiffs’ Fee Request

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout
Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Mixed Martial Arts Pioneer Scott Coker Plans 2027 Launch of New Global MMA League With $60M in Financing, Including From Tony Hawk

This was old school NBA playoffs

CHGO Bulls @CHGO_Bulls

32 years ago today...

Scottie Pippen destroyed Patrick Ewing

😱😱😱😱

Ken Griffey, Jr

HAWK @HawkEmDownChris

Age yourself by naming an MLB center fielder you grew up watching.

I’ll start: Mike Trout.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports