• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

UPDATED: IFL Cancels August Show

June 11, 2008 by Staff Leave a Comment

Earlier today International Fight League CEO Jay Larkin held a conference call in which he announced the IFL has canceled its planned show for its August 15th show at the IZOD Center in New Jersey due to cash flow issues.

“Our cash situation is such that doing an event in August would put the company in jeopardy,” said Larkin.

Larkin said that many of the IFL’s prior changes had been “done on the fly” and compared it to doing open heart surgery – trying to retool an entire organization while still running it. Skipping the August show will allow the company to retool its product and keep cash on hand.

In a release posted on the company’s website, the event was canceled “in light of the company’s current financial condition. If the IFL is unable to successfully leverage any of those options, the company may seek protection from its creditors through a court proceeding.”

Many thought the EliteXC broadcast on CBS would dramatically change the MMA landscape, and that a strong showing in primetime would lead to media outlets lusting after sport to help attract its highly valued demographic, but according to Larkin, that has not yet happened.

“The current business climate has shown us now that the tranition will need more time, and more thought and more creativity. And our current cash position will just not support us going forward (with an August event).”

Though many investors are sitting on the sidelines in the MMA game, Larkin says there is still interest in the sport and in the IFL.

“We’ve had conversations with media companies, film studios, television networks, individuals, celebrities. We have turned over a forest of rocks to see where the interest is… Everytime we have one of these conversations, the interest is very high, but they’re all being very cautious,” said Larkin.

While the company is on hiatus, Larkin says that his fight staff, Bas Rutten and Shannon Knapp, will continue to try to place IFL fighters in fights in other promotions. The IFL will not seek any fee from other promotions that might use IFL fighters.

Looking outside of the IFL and at the sport as a whole Larkin says many other promoters are painting a picture of the glass half full, when it is really half empty.

“Every MMA company is either inflating their numbers or out and out lying about their numbers.”

While many will continue to speculate that this is the end of the IFL, Larkin says that’s not the case.

“If the IFL were to decide the best thing for the shareholders were to close down business, that’s a very bad statement in an industry that’s looking to make nothing but good statements.”

(MMAPayout will have audio from the IFL conference call posted in the days to come.)

Filed Under: IFL

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

I was there and as a Husky fan it still is the best play at Husky Stadium EVER

Juan Serrano @Serrano_Sports

Ortege Jenkins days until Arizona Football

Turning Point USA logo on the mats at the #UFC #BJJ event tonight...first time I've seen this

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Get fucked man you wrote thoughtless bullshit for over a decade

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

BREAKING: The Seattle Mariners plan to call up left-hander Kade Anderson, the top pitching prospect in baseball, to start Saturday, sources tell ESPN. Anderson, the third pick in the 2025 draft, has a 1.06 ERA over 93.1 innings with 135 strikeouts, 13 walks and 47 hits allowed.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Right wing grift is so hilariously easy. Just write a very weird and creepy fantasy story you know your paper won’t publish, then make a public show of resigning because of it, and you’ll instantly have a job offer from Clay Travis in your inbox

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports