• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Khabib hospitalized, fight with Ferguson off UFC 209

March 3, 2017 by Jason Cruz 5 Comments

It appears that Khabib Nurmogomedov and Tony Ferguson will never happen as Nurmogomedov was hospitalized Thursday evening and Nevada officials have called off the bout.

The fight, which was for the interim lightweight title and the right to face Conor McGregor, will not happen.  Nurmogomedov was discharged per UFC officials however the fight will not go forward.

The scheduled interim lightweight championship bout between Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson at UFC 209 has been cancelled. pic.twitter.com/aFHxZH1Myx

— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) March 3, 2017

Not only will this hurt the business-side from a PPV, attendance standpoint, but will hurt the handle at sportsbooks.

This fight had more than twice as much handle as main event. Going to be quite a few refunds for us on this one

— Matthew Holt (@MatthewHoltVP) March 3, 2017

Payout Perspective:

This is disappointing as this was the third time the two were to fight but it appears that this will never happen.  We have to assume that weight-cutting issues was the need for Khabib to be hospitalized.  Certainly, many UFC fans wanted to see this more than the title fight between Woodley and Thompson.

Filed Under: Featured, UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Diego says

    March 3, 2017 at 1:47 pm

    MMA needs to move to stricter weight cut guidelines like they do for some boxing matchups. Have weigh-ins leading up to the fight and the night of the fight to ensure that fighters aren’t cutting and rehydrating too much.

    Reply
  2. TOPS E says

    March 3, 2017 at 3:43 pm

    http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/michael-johnson-being-considered-for-tony-ferguson-fight-after-nurmagomedov-withdrawal……pathetic and desperate….hHahahahahaha

    Reply
  3. TOPS E says

    March 3, 2017 at 6:32 pm

    Double whammy…1st dw wiling to put a fight with 1 day notice ,( risk health – weight cut 15 lbs!!!and (reputation) now 2nd rejected by ferguson(right of him) because of small money offered hahahaha what a cash strap promotion,desperate times

    Reply
  4. Jess says

    March 4, 2017 at 12:50 pm

    Ouch, what a fail. For many this was the true main event of the card and the only good match up the UFC had lined up so far this year.

    Reply
  5. Wil says

    March 4, 2017 at 10:44 pm

    Diego, agreed…..sometimes going to end up killing themselves with these unprofessional weight cuts

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout
Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

😂 I’m sorry, @Mariners, he’s perfect. #TridentsUp #GoMs

I was wrong

MMA Payout @MMAPayout

This game over already

This game over already

I hate how this sounds like he needs money ASAP

MMA Junkie @MMAJunkie

Ex-UFC champ Tyron Woodley willing to wrestle for RAF, box, and do MMA https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2026/08/21/tyron-woodley-never-retired-from-mma-ufc-raf-wrestling-vs-joaquin-buckley-boxing-future-plans/91402718007/?taid=6a88cbc32f77dd0001a5b25f&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports