• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

GSP is back in UFC according to report

February 15, 2017 by Jason Cruz 6 Comments

MMA Fighting reports that Georges St. Pierre has agreed to a new contract with the UFC.

GSP, the former UFC welterweight champion, has been out of action since UFC 167.

Last year, GSP proclaimed himself a “free agent” after an impasse on a new contract with the new owners of the UFC. GSP’s attorney, Jim Quinn, stated that the existing contract St Pierre had with the UFC was terminated although the UFC disagreed.  Legal action seemed almost a given.

Notably, GSP was one of several fighters at a news conference late last year to announce the formation of MMAAA, an effort to organize MMA fighters.

No word at this point if St Pierre will continue those efforts after signing with the UFC.

Payout Perspective:

If you listened to The MMA Hour on Monday, Michael Bisping indicated that GSP may be his next opponent.  Now, this makes sense upon learning word of the signing.  GSP has business acumen and he knew that if he wanted to fight he’d want to sign with the UFC.  The company needs another top draw with the prolonged absence of Conor McGregor and the uncertain future of Ronda Rousey.  The report indicates that GSP is looking to fight in the third quarter of the year.  However, one might think that if a fight with Bisping can be made for July’s International Fight Week that would be the best case scenario.

Filed Under: Featured, UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. d says

    February 15, 2017 at 10:12 pm

    Figured this was coming. Looks like Georges may be the 4th fighter to hold titles in two different UFC weight divisions.

    Where’s FF at?

    Reply
  2. Wil says

    February 16, 2017 at 3:33 am

    GSP knew the UFC needed a star and badly, this should be good for some ppv sales. Problem is, MMA is a swiftly evolving sport, champions have short reigns and primes are shorter than other sports. One wonders how he will perform.

    Reply
  3. turd says

    February 16, 2017 at 5:38 pm

    that is what almost a 4 year layoff, and jumping into a title fight, i really think gsp needs a toon up first

    Reply
  4. Wil says

    February 16, 2017 at 9:33 pm

    He didnt even look good in his last fight which many thought he lost….if this is a hard fall…then…..

    Reply
  5. Cutch says

    February 17, 2017 at 2:22 pm

    His head wasn’t in the game in the Hendricks fight and besides Anthony Pettis, nobody has fell off further than Johny Hendricks since USADA came in.

    Reply
  6. d says

    February 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm

    This is true. Hendricks was juiced beyond recognition.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

Scott Coker returns to MMA

Conor McGregor returns July 11th

Keane’s attorneys fire back at Top Rank based on undiscovered evidence

White writes letter to Trump requesting change to law

UFC Freedom 250 kits revealed

Dominance responds to Plaintiffs’ Fee Request

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

As someone who has done BJJ for over 15 years, you become a massive prick after your first couple stripes at white belt and become insufferable at blue. Most quit when they realize they can’t muscle anyone anymore.

Spencer Pratt is a black belt. Really

Seán Sheehan @SeanSheehanBA

Once again a fella takes up jiu-jitsu and becomes a massive prick.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Once again a fella takes up jiu-jitsu and becomes a massive prick.

Wow

Happy Punch @HappyPunch

Floyd Mayweather reportedly had a baby with a dancer at his Vegas strip club

He’s been ordered to pay $1M in back child support and $33k a month

(via TMZ)

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

A vote is not expected during Friday’s DI Cabinet call regarding the NCAA’s proposed 5-year, age-based eligibility rule. Discussion on the topic is expected to continue with action now anticipated at their next meeting the week of June 22.

Overwhelming support remains.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports