• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Werdum pulls out of UFC 196

January 25, 2016 by Jason Cruz 12 Comments

Less than 24 hours after Dana White announced that Stipe Miocic would replace Cain Velasquez as the main event for UFC 196, Fabricio Werdum announced he is pulling out as well.

MMA Junkie received confirmation from Werdum that he is withdrawing.

The move makes Johny Hendricks versus Stephen Thompson the de facto main event of the traditional Super Bowl Weekend card.

The late scratch should be a disappointment for Miocic who looked to be on a roll going into this title shot.

Payout Perspective:

It’s unlikely that the UFC will cancel the card regardless of what you think.  However, a Hendricks-Thompson headline is not an attractive fight.  None of the undercard has any attractive fights as well.  With a UFC event this Saturday on cable TV, it will make it hard to sell the casual fan to buy the following week’s PPV.

Filed Under: UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. tops E says

    January 25, 2016 at 3:05 pm

    Hahaha.fighters now fighting dw….o oh

    Reply
  2. Gil says

    January 25, 2016 at 11:06 pm

    Getting “injured” is the new ducking in the UFC

    Reply
  3. BrainSmasher says

    January 26, 2016 at 12:15 am

    I agree Gil!

    Reply
  4. jf says

    January 26, 2016 at 5:58 am

    Werdum is an idiot. I understand he doesn’t want to face stipe on 12 days notice, I understand his toe is broken. You don’t go public and say “I would have faced Cain anyways, but not Stipe”. That opens the door to too much bullshit.

    Reply
  5. Diego says

    January 26, 2016 at 6:16 am

    This definitely does not look good.

    Reply
  6. Diego says

    January 26, 2016 at 6:17 am

    Stipe should be pissed.

    Reply
  7. The Greatest says

    January 26, 2016 at 9:50 am

    150k ppvs.

    Reply
  8. Diego says

    January 26, 2016 at 11:45 am

    That’s 150k more than Klitschko v. Fury I. And II.

    Reply
  9. The Greatest says

    January 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

    UFC 196 zero. Big goose egg.
    How bout that diego?
    Enjoy your ppv on FS1.
    UFC 196 will do less ppvs than Klitschko-Fury.
    By the way klitschko fury was a ppv in the U.K.

    Reply
  10. d says

    January 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm

    UFC 196 gets zero ppvs, which is the same amount of ppvs sold by the entire sport of boxing in 2016 so far.

    Klitschko-Fury was a ppv for some people in the UK- others can get a subscription with Sky tv. The ppv also was less than half of what a UFC ppv costs and drew a fraction of what the last 2 did. The UFC did more ppv buys last qtr than boxing will do all year. The anti-mma boxing crowd is still reeling from last year’s record numbers from the UFC.

    Reply
  11. The Greatest says

    January 27, 2016 at 4:56 am

    UFC breaks UFC records. Boxing breaks combat sports records.

    Reply
  12. d says

    January 27, 2016 at 7:16 am

    UFC breaks UFC records…..which are the combat sports records. Boxing will have under 3m ppv buys this year. Hahaha. Yup, talk about record breakers.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

Scott Coker returns to MMA

Conor McGregor returns July 11th

Keane’s attorneys fire back at Top Rank based on undiscovered evidence

White writes letter to Trump requesting change to law

UFC Freedom 250 kits revealed

Dominance responds to Plaintiffs’ Fee Request

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

As someone who has done BJJ for over 15 years, you become a massive prick after your first couple stripes at white belt and become insufferable at blue. Most quit when they realize they can’t muscle anyone anymore.

Spencer Pratt is a black belt. Really

Seán Sheehan @SeanSheehanBA

Once again a fella takes up jiu-jitsu and becomes a massive prick.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Once again a fella takes up jiu-jitsu and becomes a massive prick.

Wow

Happy Punch @HappyPunch

Floyd Mayweather reportedly had a baby with a dancer at his Vegas strip club

He’s been ordered to pay $1M in back child support and $33k a month

(via TMZ)

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

A vote is not expected during Friday’s DI Cabinet call regarding the NCAA’s proposed 5-year, age-based eligibility rule. Discussion on the topic is expected to continue with action now anticipated at their next meeting the week of June 22.

Overwhelming support remains.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports