• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

FTC closes second investigation of Zuffa

November 24, 2015 by Jason Cruz 4 Comments

The Las Vegas Review Journal reports that the Federal Trade Commission has ended its second investigation of Zuffa without any findings of wrongdoing of the company’s business practices.  Although the investigation has ended, the FTC indicated that it reserved the right to investigate the company again if it saw a need. 

In a letter to Zuffa from the FTC, it indicated that the closing of the investigation should not be construed that a violation may not have occurred, just as the opening of the investigation should not be construed that a violation had occurred. 

UFC’s Chief Legal Officer Kirk Hendrick issued a statement on the FTC’s decision:

“Earlier this year the FTC informed us that it was conducting a non-public investigation, which we believe was instigated by former fighters or their attorneys to bolster a civil action against UFC,” Hendrick added, “After meeting with the FTC, we are pleased that they have sent us a letter stating that no further action is warranted and the investigation is now closed. We maintain full confidence in our business practices and continue to believe that the plaintiffs’ allegations are meritless.”

The letter from the FTC, obtained by the Las Vegas Review Journal is below:

UFC FCC by LVReviewJournal

The FTC investigated Zuffa after it had acquired Strikeforce in 2011.  The investigation came to close with no findings in early 2012.  A Freedom of Information Act request for documents from that first investigation revealed little as to their investigation.

Although the reason for the second investigation was not made public one might conclude it was due in part to the antitrust lawsuit filed by former UFC fighters.

Payout Perspective:

Good news for the UFC as it is clear of the investigation.  Moreover, it need not dedicate legal resources for this.  The FTC indicated that it may revisit the issue but one would think it is unlikely to occur unless something comes out of the antitrust case.

Filed Under: contracts, legal, UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. tops E says

    November 25, 2015 at 3:15 am

    Part 3 hahahaha https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mBNzNYtm_g

    Reply
  2. d says

    November 25, 2015 at 7:04 am

    1.3m ppv buys. Hahahaha.

    Reply
  3. SayNoToHypes says

    November 25, 2015 at 8:10 am

    1.3…according to whom ?

    I’ve seen ping pong matches that drew more than that.

    Reply
  4. d says

    November 26, 2015 at 4:56 am

    According to Dave Meltzer……….the guy mmapayout and everyone else who posts ppv numbers gets their numbers from.

    That’s some ping pong to get 1.3m ppv buys. Very impressive.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

I was there and as a Husky fan it still is the best play at Husky Stadium EVER

Juan Serrano @Serrano_Sports

Ortege Jenkins days until Arizona Football

Turning Point USA logo on the mats at the #UFC #BJJ event tonight...first time I've seen this

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Get fucked man you wrote thoughtless bullshit for over a decade

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

BREAKING: The Seattle Mariners plan to call up left-hander Kade Anderson, the top pitching prospect in baseball, to start Saturday, sources tell ESPN. Anderson, the third pick in the 2025 draft, has a 1.06 ERA over 93.1 innings with 135 strikeouts, 13 walks and 47 hits allowed.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Right wing grift is so hilariously easy. Just write a very weird and creepy fantasy story you know your paper won’t publish, then make a public show of resigning because of it, and you’ll instantly have a job offer from Clay Travis in your inbox

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports