• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Aldo, Rampage out of UFC 153

September 11, 2012 by Jason Cruz 8 Comments

MMA Junkie reports that Jose Aldo is out of UFC 153 with an injury.  The news piled on the fact that earlier today co-main event participant Rampage Jackson was out as well.

Aldo was set to do battle with Frankie Edgar after Edgar stepped in for an injured Erik Koch.  The UFC thought it was out of danger after Aldo escaped serious injury after a motorcycle accident last week. But, today’s announcement leaves the UFC in an all too familiar spot of trying to fill-in spots for injured fighters.   The news of Rampage Jackson’s injury was a precursor for the Aldo news.

Payout Perspective:

The Aldo injury puts a damper on the whole PPV and the buzz with the fight occurring in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil once again.  There is speculation that the UFC may move Jones-Belfort to 153 from 152 to appease the Brazilian fans although that may upset fans in Toronto.  A definite slippery slope as the UFC is heading to two big cities with rabid fans.  The fact that Canada and Brazil have passionate fans may alleviate the economic hit the UFC may take with these late scratches.  The UFC must really scramble as 153’s loss of main event and co-main event make the card susceptible to cancellation if it cannot reschedule fights.

Today’s injury announcements must have the UFC bring into question the issue of fighter training and what is going on with the endemic of injuries among its fighters.  While the UFC has nothing to do with fight camps one has to think the UFC has to involve itself with this year’s injuries.

Filed Under: Featured, UFC

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. michael says

    September 12, 2012 at 2:44 am

    That’s it for me. I aknowledge that the fighters, camps and the Ufc are more frustrated than me who’s just a fan who wants to enjoy the final product. Also I hope for a good recovery for the individual. But the amount of injuries is just ridiculous. I’ve lost my patience

    Reply
  2. Sampson Simpson says

    September 12, 2012 at 8:35 am

    I would howl of if the culinary academy was behind all of this. If I really wanted to sink the UFC I would shell out the dollars in CASH to have these fighters drop out and ruin the UFC.

    Zuffa should be wary.

    Reply
  3. Diego says

    September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

    michael,

    I agree. It’s been a hell of a year for injuries and I think in part it’s because the sport is so competitive that fight camps have become steadily more grueling. I also think that fighters are less willing to show up injured with so much more on the line if they win – Rampage did in his last fight and dropped out of the top 10 as a result, I doubt he’ll do that again.

    Sampson,

    Really dude? Maybe it’s the people who shot JFK who are behind this. Adjust the tin-foil on your head, I think the alien brain-disruption rays are getting through.

    Reply
  4. BrainSmasher says

    September 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

    The answer to the problem is put it their contracts they have to fight 4 times per year and there is penalties for pulling out of fights. Other sports do this especially to high risk players. Guys who have been injured before have to play in so many games that season to get all of their money in the contract. The UFC needs to do this before it is to late. To be honest i love live UFC events and have been to 7 of them in many different states from Mass to Georgia and in between. But i am not even thiking about attending another live show. I have no faith the fights they claim we are buying are going to happen. This “injuries” and i think many of them are fake and the fighters is just ducking a bad match up are killing the UFC and in turn the sport.

    Reply
  5. michael says

    September 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm

    Haha maybe we can put up betting lines on reschedulings of future fightcards 😉

    Reply
  6. Machiel Van says

    September 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

    BSmash: I could be wrong, but I think fighters’ status as “independent contractors” as opposed to “employees” prevents the UFC from attaching penalties to their contracts, and they also can’t enforce a policy of forcing fighters to fight a certain number of times per year. The big stick and ball sports don’t have that problem since the players are employees.

    I agree though, something needs to change; the rapid increase in the injury rate is odd and there has to be a reason, hopefully one that can be remedied.

    Reply
  7. Machiel Van says

    September 14, 2012 at 8:49 am

    PS: Don’t feed the troll guys, just ignore it. It goes back under the bridge eventually if neglected.

    Reply
  8. william hardiek says

    October 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

    I think the reason fighters aren’t fighting through injuries anymore has more to do with the insurance policy Zuffa bought on all the fighters. Now, fighters will be able to file a medical claim, and get paid a percentage of their purse. Also, the fight teams are filled with top caliber training partners and fighters are less willing to fight a high stakes fight when injured. There is much more on the line now, the money is bigger, the competition is better and the exposure is higher than ever.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout
Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Per GAEC,

Disclosed Purses for all fighters on the #ShieldsScott event

Again, only what was disclosed to the commission:

Claressa Shields: $500,000
Kaye Scott: $54,320

Joseph Hicks: $23,125
Troy Isley: $30,000

Bernice Ferreira: $20,000
Caroline Veyre: $20,300

Roamer Angulo:

UFC 330 Payout Perspective https://mmapayout.com/2026/08/16/ufc-330-payout-perspective/

Shane McMahon theme

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

What the Seahawks’ locker room sounded like after Devon Witherspoon became the highest-paid CB in NFL history.

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the @Seahawks tonight at 9 pm ET on @hbomax.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Yes, the Pulitzer-winning journalist is the source we should ignore, not the people who continue to want access to the LA sports team they cover. This was a dumb thing to think and an even dumber thing to tweet.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Many years ago, I made a joke on twitter about Chiesa. It was reported that he was drunk in the octagon at a show and had to be escorted out or something.

I tweeted: “Classic Mike.”

That was it. No tagging him. That was it. It was just a joke 🤷‍♂️.

Anyway, years later I was

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports