• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Mayweather signs deal with Showtime, fights May 4th

February 19, 2013 by Jason Cruz 3 Comments

Floyd Mayweather has signed a six year fight agreement with Showtime/CBS which will begin with his recently announced fight May 4th against Roberto Guerro.  The signing is a sign that the competition between Showtime and HBO has ramped up.

Mayweather and HBO had been longtime partners however the new agreement with Showtime suggests that the company is making inroads into HBO’s hold on boxing.  This past December, CBS held network fights for the first time in a great while to very good ratings.  It’s likely we’ll see CBS incorporated in some way with promoting Mayweather’s May 4th fight.  Most likely, it will be similar to the Pacquiao-Mosley 360 Fight Camp which aired on Showtime and CBS.  Mayweather was synonymous with HBO’s 24/7 series.

The deal grants Mayweather the opportunity to fight up to six times in a 30 month span.   We will see how many fights Mayweather decides to do.  At 35, it’s not clear if Mayweather would complete the six fights in 30 months.  However, if the deal is tied to the number of fights he is in, we may see Mayweather ramp up the number of fights he takes per year.  Mayweather fought in only one bout last year – a May decision over Miguel Cotto.

Payout Perspective:

Manny Pacquiao moved to Showtime when he accepted a deal to fight Shane Mosley on the network’s PPV in 2011.  A part of the reason was the ability to be on network television.  Mayweather’s deal is much more as it’s likely he’ll end his boxing career with Showtime.  We shall see what that means for the bidding war between HBO and Showtime.  Certainly, HBO will want to retain Pacquiao.  Despite losing the last two fights, a 5th fight with Marquez should draw interest and HBO should try its hardest to keep it on HBO.  However, if we are to look into the future., if there is any interest left in Mayweather-Pacquiao, it may mean that we see it on a Showtime PPV.

No further details of the deal have been released and it will be interesting to see what Showtime did to pull the biggest PPV draw in boxing to its stable.

Filed Under: boxing, Showtime, TV

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. jeff says

    February 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

    glad to see showtime on the rise. HBO is biased as hell.

    Reply
  2. Weezy02 says

    February 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

    Huge for boxing. Also, NBC will be airing Tyson Fury vs. Steve Cunningham on April 20th. Another great development for boxing. That should do nice ratings. This is a huge loss for HBO Boxing, though. Arguably their biggest ever.

    Reply
  3. Tops of says

    February 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm

    I think the UFC made boxing better

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

I was there and as a Husky fan it still is the best play at Husky Stadium EVER

Juan Serrano @Serrano_Sports

Ortege Jenkins days until Arizona Football

Turning Point USA logo on the mats at the #UFC #BJJ event tonight...first time I've seen this

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Get fucked man you wrote thoughtless bullshit for over a decade

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

BREAKING: The Seattle Mariners plan to call up left-hander Kade Anderson, the top pitching prospect in baseball, to start Saturday, sources tell ESPN. Anderson, the third pick in the 2025 draft, has a 1.06 ERA over 93.1 innings with 135 strikeouts, 13 walks and 47 hits allowed.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Right wing grift is so hilariously easy. Just write a very weird and creepy fantasy story you know your paper won’t publish, then make a public show of resigning because of it, and you’ll instantly have a job offer from Clay Travis in your inbox

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports