• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Bellator announces Ortiz-Sonnen

October 19, 2016 by Jason Cruz 5 Comments

Bellator’s Scott Coker announced on ESPN’s Sportscenter that Chael Sonnen will take on Tito Ortiz which will headline a show on January 21, 2017 at The Forum in Inglewood, California.

Sonnen announced his return to the sport last month.  He has participated in grappling matches and served as a WSOF color commentator during his time away from active action.

Ortiz has not fought since a submission loss to Liam McGeary in September 2015.

Payout Perspective:

Bellator is getting the same treatment as the UFC as ESPN is giving the Viacom-owned company the same platform to announce major news.  Sonnen-Ortiz will have some good promotion leading up to the fight but we will see how much the actual fight will live up to the lead-up.  Certainly, the shoulder programming, which we anticipate to be on SpikeTV, should provide some interesting color.  We assume that this will be Bellator’s next tent-pole event.

Filed Under: Bellator, ESPN

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Fight Fan says

    October 19, 2016 at 10:21 am

    Two over the hills fighting to get a paycheck. I’ll still watch though.

    Reply
  2. Wil says

    October 19, 2016 at 3:59 pm

    Ill be watching too….say what you will about Bellator, they know how to get ratings and they know what sells. This card will out perform the closest UFC card around it. Watch….

    Reply
  3. Etops says

    October 19, 2016 at 4:01 pm

    Out perform in what way?

    Reply
  4. Cutch says

    October 20, 2016 at 7:05 am

    Bellator in my opinion have to be praying CBS/Showtime merge with Viacom again, which is being talked about, monthly Friday night cards on Spike, then big fights on Showtime on Saturdays and maybe CBS with the right fight and eventually a PPV.

    Al Haymon is probably wishing the same thing, Spike and Showtime are the only people actually paying for PBC content.

    Reply
  5. Steve says

    October 20, 2016 at 12:41 pm

    It’s hard to see it out performing the closest UFC card around it.

    First it is on Saturday January 21 which means it will go up against an NFL Divisional game and Second, FOX has usually put a big UFC card on either after the Divisional Playoffs (Cruz/Dillashaw this year) or NFC Championship(McGregor/Siver last year) which have done some of the best ratings ever.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

😂

Jed I. Goodman © @jedigoodman

Dana White on Eddie Hearn: 'I stopped listening to Eddie Hearn about three months ago. Is there anybody more full of shit than this guy?'

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Per GAEC,

Disclosed Purses for all fighters on the #ShieldsScott event

Again, only what was disclosed to the commission:

Claressa Shields: $500,000
Kaye Scott: $54,320

Joseph Hicks: $23,125
Troy Isley: $30,000

Bernice Ferreira: $20,000
Caroline Veyre: $20,300

Roamer Angulo:

UFC 330 Payout Perspective https://mmapayout.com/2026/08/16/ufc-330-payout-perspective/

Shane McMahon theme

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

What the Seahawks’ locker room sounded like after Devon Witherspoon became the highest-paid CB in NFL history.

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the @Seahawks tonight at 9 pm ET on @hbomax.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Yes, the Pulitzer-winning journalist is the source we should ignore, not the people who continue to want access to the LA sports team they cover. This was a dumb thing to think and an even dumber thing to tweet.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports