• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

The Wrestling Post: WWE First Quarter Earnings

May 6, 2013 by Jason Cruz 1 Comment

The WWE announced results for its first quarter for 2013 on Thursday via conference call.  The WWE’s revenues were flat from last year thanks to the film business.

There is no word on the launch of the WWE Network although it spent $500,000 on it in the first quarter.

The WWE revenues were up modestly from last year:  $124M from $123.9M.  But, its net income was down sharply from $15M last year this quarter to $3M.

Other notes:

WWE Films’, Dead Man Down, lost $4.7 million while the bankruptcy of its former video game maker, THQ, caused a $2.1 million positive impact.  Dead Man Down which starred Collin Farrell was a box office flop domestically.  It was advertised during UFC 156.  In fact, Bigfoot Silva knocked out Alistair Overeem in front of the Dead Man Down signage during their fight.  It was probably the lasting memory of that movie.  It anticipated a $3M loss from video game sales due to the bankruptcy of THQ but wrote it off and settled with the bankrupt video game manufacturer in order to sign an agreement with Take Two.  Thus, in its balance sheets it showed a positive impact of $2.1M positive impact to revenue and $3.4M positive impact to operating income.

The WWE also spent money on the construction of a training facility in Orlando, Florida to support its up and coming wrestlers.

Although PPV buys and domestic attendance were up, international attendance at events were down.  Also, paying The Rock and Brock Lesnar offset the revenue by the WWE although one may expect their appearances may benefit in the long run.

Payout Perspective:

The WWE may be nearing an end to its film division if it continues to lose money.  “The Call,” starring Halle Barry has been the studio’s only real domestic hit.  It was expected to make between $11-12M at the box office its first weekend in limited theaters but ended up making $17M.  Yet, this was offset by “Dead Man Down” this quarter.  With the WWE focusing its spending on the anticipated launch of its network, we may see the company take a critical look at this division.  The  second quarter is likely to be better as we should see the results of this year’s Wrestlemania as it is being reported that PPV buys are over 1 million.

Filed Under: financial, pro wrestling, Pro Wrestling Post, WWE

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. aintitthetruth says

    May 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

    I thought it was hilarious how they tried to cast Orton as a marine, only to discover that he had in fact gone awol. That says alot about what is going on over at WWE films.I think WWE should take eddie murphys advice in Bowfinger. ‘Its too cerebral; we’re trying to make a movie not a film!”

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

😂

Jed I. Goodman © @jedigoodman

Dana White on Eddie Hearn: 'I stopped listening to Eddie Hearn about three months ago. Is there anybody more full of shit than this guy?'

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Per GAEC,

Disclosed Purses for all fighters on the #ShieldsScott event

Again, only what was disclosed to the commission:

Claressa Shields: $500,000
Kaye Scott: $54,320

Joseph Hicks: $23,125
Troy Isley: $30,000

Bernice Ferreira: $20,000
Caroline Veyre: $20,300

Roamer Angulo:

UFC 330 Payout Perspective https://mmapayout.com/2026/08/16/ufc-330-payout-perspective/

Shane McMahon theme

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

What the Seahawks’ locker room sounded like after Devon Witherspoon became the highest-paid CB in NFL history.

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the @Seahawks tonight at 9 pm ET on @hbomax.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Yes, the Pulitzer-winning journalist is the source we should ignore, not the people who continue to want access to the LA sports team they cover. This was a dumb thing to think and an even dumber thing to tweet.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports