• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

The pro wrestling post: Lesnar’s contract, Spike TV’s renews show and WWE Films’ mistake

April 7, 2012 by Jason Cruz 2 Comments

MMA Payout provides your Easter weekend with some pro wrestling business headlines including Lesnar’s contract, Spike TV reups with TNA and the US Marines call in a favor.

Lesnar’s impact and contract

Finally…Brock Lesnar has returned back to the WWE.  He made his appearance on Monday Night Raw the night after Wrestlemania.  Although a brief cameo at the end of the program (where he F5’d Jon Cena), the Wrestlemania bump and the Lesnar rumors had RAW draw a 2.0 rating (according to TV By Numbers) for the second hour of Raw which was up from the prior week among adults 18-49.  The programming ran up against CBS and the National Championship Title Game which is pretty good considering March Madness had been impacting MMA ratings.

As for Lesnar’s contract, it’s being reported that his 1 year deal is worth around 5 million dollars (via CageSide Seats).  The deal runs through next year’s Wrestlemania which will be held at Met Life Stadium in New Jersey which we may presume Lesnar will be in the main event.  Lesnar will not be on the road full time but will appear twice a month with more frequency running up to Wrestlemania.

Spike TV and TNA Wrestling agree to extension

TNA Wrestling has agreed to a multi-year extension with Spike TV.  TNA’s “Impact Wrestling” show on Thursday nights has been drawing an average of 1.7 million viewers in 2012.  Financial terms were not disclosed however there is speculation that TNA will be involved in additional projects with the network in addition to its weekly show.  I was surprised to know that TNA is drawing so well.  Its interesting compared to the TUF ratings from past seasons on the network.

Wrestler Randy Orton pulled from WWE film

The WWE has pulled Randy Orton from a starring role in its film studios’ ongoing feature film Marine 3.  The “Marine” series put on by WWE Films is the longest running and most notable of its film franchises (which may explain why the WWE film division is in its current state).  Orton, a real US Marine in the 1990s was dishonorably discharged from the Corps after two AWOLs and a disobyeing a command from a superior officer (h/t Cage Side Seats via TMZ Sports).  The WWE indicated that it “demonstrated poor judgment” in casting Orton in the role even though it knew of his past.

One does not usually see the WWE concede fault but the fact is the WWE is a staunch supporter of the Armed Forces (as shown by its annual holiday shows in the Middle East) and the Marines rely on the support of the WWE as it can tap into the young male demo.  Here, it made sense for the WWE to pull Orton off of the film as it would have heaped a lot of bad press on the WWE further impacting the issues the film division has right now.

Filed Under: pro wrestling, Spike, TV, WWE

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Columbo says

    April 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm

    ‘Impact’ brings some good overall numbers each and every week but their 18-49 demo is a paltry 0.5, usually. They really should do the show live and in a different city each week.

    Reply
  2. terrencefromsoutheast says

    April 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm

    I think the UFC has made a big mistake in allowing Lesnar to jump to the WWE.The UFC has given Vince McMahon a huge drawing card,something the UFC is short on right now.WWE is in a hot period while the UFC is still in a network transional period.TNA is the ratings leader on SPIKE an they provide an audience for there MMA programming.Bellator and TNA has done crossover promotioning in the past.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

I was there and as a Husky fan it still is the best play at Husky Stadium EVER

Juan Serrano @Serrano_Sports

Ortege Jenkins days until Arizona Football

Turning Point USA logo on the mats at the #UFC #BJJ event tonight...first time I've seen this

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Get fucked man you wrote thoughtless bullshit for over a decade

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

BREAKING: The Seattle Mariners plan to call up left-hander Kade Anderson, the top pitching prospect in baseball, to start Saturday, sources tell ESPN. Anderson, the third pick in the 2025 draft, has a 1.06 ERA over 93.1 innings with 135 strikeouts, 13 walks and 47 hits allowed.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Right wing grift is so hilariously easy. Just write a very weird and creepy fantasy story you know your paper won’t publish, then make a public show of resigning because of it, and you’ll instantly have a job offer from Clay Travis in your inbox

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports