• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MMA Payout

The Business of Combat Sports

  • Home
  • MMA
    • UFC
    • Bellator
    • One
    • PFL
  • Boxing
  • Legal
  • Ratings
  • Payouts
  • Attendance
  • Gate

Strikeforce Signs “King” Mo Lawal

October 14, 2009 by Kelsey Philpott 4 Comments

Loretta Hunt of Sherdog.com is reporting that Strikeforce has signed light heavyweight prospect “King” Mo Lawal to a multi-fight deal with the anticipation that he could fight as early as December:

The deal allows the undefeated Lawal, a NCAA Div. 1 All-American wrestling champion for Oklahoma State in 2003 and decorated international competitor, to continue competing on the Japanese circuit. There, the 28-year-old heavyweight has made a name for himself with four straight victories in the Sengoku Raiden Championship (formerly Sengoku) over the last year. Three of those wins have come by stoppage from strikes, while Lawal’s only decision came after he tore his ACL in the first round of his match with Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku “Seventh Battle” last March.

Payout Perspective:

Lawal is a great prospect: he’s got the wrestling pedigree, fighting instincts, athleticism, and charisma to be a successful fighter sometime into the future.

However, the deal is most interesting in the context of the battle that Strikeforce and the UFC are currently waging for talent. Not only is Lawal a possible star in the making, but he’s already got a name in Japan. That bodes well for the Strikeforce-Dream partnership, and hurts the UFC as they look to capture some of the floundering Japanese market.

Why did Lawal choose Strikeforce? I suspect because of the non-exclusivity of the contract. The deal gives him the flexibility to make more money in Japan than he’d probably get from either of the big promotions in North America, while still fighting in North America, on occassion, in order to build his name there.

Filed Under: contracts, Strikeforce

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. JJ says

    October 14, 2009 at 6:14 am

    King Mo is great, but I’d like to see him face some tougher competition.

    Reply
  2. Ian B says

    October 14, 2009 at 8:24 am

    I don’t think King Mo had any offers from UFC. Remember Mo signed on for EA MMA. Dana will make exceptions, but not for Mo Lawal.

    Reply
  3. Joseph says

    October 15, 2009 at 11:07 am

    Not to mention that he is already signed for EA Sports MMA. They definitely have someone with the charisma and skills to become a future star of the sport. That is for sure.

    Reply
  4. Joseph says

    October 15, 2009 at 11:08 am

    Ian B,

    Dana will not make an exception for King Mo, but he did for Frank Trigg and Jay Hieron? I HIGHLY doubt that.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Featured

UFC 330 Payout Perspective

Update on CSI Entertainment – Mayweather lawsuit, Injunction request withdrawn

The Legal Submission 109 takes a look at TKO Earnings

Plaintiffs in Johnson antitrust lawsuit file statement prior to status conference

Despite two big losses, TKO touts another solid quarter

Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act of 2026 introduced into Senate with minor changes

Archives

MMA Payout Follow

MMAPayout

😂

Jed I. Goodman © @jedigoodman

Dana White on Eddie Hearn: 'I stopped listening to Eddie Hearn about three months ago. Is there anybody more full of shit than this guy?'

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Per GAEC,

Disclosed Purses for all fighters on the #ShieldsScott event

Again, only what was disclosed to the commission:

Claressa Shields: $500,000
Kaye Scott: $54,320

Joseph Hicks: $23,125
Troy Isley: $30,000

Bernice Ferreira: $20,000
Caroline Veyre: $20,300

Roamer Angulo:

UFC 330 Payout Perspective https://mmapayout.com/2026/08/16/ufc-330-payout-perspective/

Shane McMahon theme

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

What the Seahawks’ locker room sounded like after Devon Witherspoon became the highest-paid CB in NFL history.

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the @Seahawks tonight at 9 pm ET on @hbomax.

Retweet on Twitter MMA Payout Retweeted

Yes, the Pulitzer-winning journalist is the source we should ignore, not the people who continue to want access to the LA sports team they cover. This was a dumb thing to think and an even dumber thing to tweet.

Load More

Copyright © 2026 · MMA Payout: The Business of Combat Sports