WME-IMG establishes PAC
February 9, 2017
Variety reports that WME-IMG is forming a national political action committee (PAC). WME-IMG co-CEOs, and UFC owners, Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell authored an internal memo that outlined the PAC and the reasons for setting it up.
The memo was careful not to take a side either way but the PAC was set up in direct response to the election of Donald Trump.
Lawyers are “currently working out details” of the PAC, which “might take on partners from outside of the agency” per a source. It is said that the investment of the PAC will be “substantial.” Money will be contributed to causes and candidates that the agency’s employees agree to support.
A portion of the email reads (via Variety):
“In the coming weeks, you will hear more from us about:
- The formation of a federal political action committee (PAC) in the U.S.
- Convening internal and external forums with politicians and allied stakeholders
- Connecting our clients with elected officials
- Introducing company-wide matching policies to support donations of time and money
- Developing actionable public policy solutions
Establishing a bipartisan PAC might be hard to do but reflects a progressive move by the company. Yet, one has to wonder if the lobbying efforts will also mean establishing contacts to combat the expansion of the Ali Act. It would be interesting to know if this is an employee driven PAC, how WME-IMG employees feel about a proposed law to help the safety and livelihood of UFC fighters.