No MMA Bill in New York this year

June 11, 2013

The New York Daily News reports that the bill to legalize MMA in New York will likely be passed over again for vote this year.  The report indicates that at least 35 Assembly Democrats oppose the measure.

The opposition includes 18 women – a bone of contention occurred in recent days as Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver came under criticism for his handling of sexual discrimination claims involving Brooklyn Democrat Vito Lopez.

What it boils down to is the need for 76 Assembly Democrats to support the MMA bill.  With 35 expressing opposition, that leaves just 69 Assembly Democrats.  If this holds, the bill will not go forward again.

One of the reasons for the lack of support is a classic opposition argument which the opposition stated in a letter explaining its position.

Via The New York Daily News:

…the 35 Assembly Dems blast MMA as “brutal and barbaric” as well as anti-women and anti-gay.

The letter cites a shocking online parody “how-to” rape video made last year in which Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter “Rampage” Jackson pretended to try to rape a woman in a parking garage using chloroform and zip ties.

“The hateful incidences associated with MMA and the violent nature of the sport raise serious concerns about the adverse effect that legalizing professional MMA events in New York could have on the well-being of our citizens, especially our children,” the 35 Dems wrote in their letter.

Payout Perspective:

Seems like we’ve been here before.  The UFC does its usual grab and grin in Albany, everyone says this year is the year.  And, eventually, the momentum fizzles by June.  With Connecticut legalizing MMA, New York is the last notable (sorry Montana and Alaska) state that has not legalized MMA.

UPDATE:  To clarify as pointed out by Marc Ratner of the UFC, Montana and Alaska do not have athletic commissions.  Thus, those states do not have regulating bodies to govern MMA events.  So, Montana and Alaska could hold MMA events in its respective state.

What makes this disappointing is that the UFC has spent so much money in the effort to educate and lobby on behalf of MMA.  Still, its the same reasons we heard before the UFC’s efforts.

19 Responses to “No MMA Bill in New York this year”

1. Tops of on June 11th, 2013 11:56 PM

Yeah dejavu ….yearly wait….same outcome…fastest growing sport………….

2. BrainSmasher on June 12th, 2013 2:46 AM

This is crazy. How can they call an entire sport anti gay and anti woman? They are using individuals to represent entire companies and a sport. A fighter isn’t the UFC, the UFC isnt MMA. An NBA player recently made gay comments. Does that mean NY is going to ban the Knicks? Does that mean all basketball should be banned from AAU to Rucker Park? Until a few weeks ago there was no gay players in any major sport. Does that make them anti gay too? MMA allows woman to compete but are called anti woman. The NFL doesn’t so are they anti woman?

It’s amazing they can legally admit that they use the actions of a single person like Rampage to make their decision. Imagine if this country made Its laws on wether to ban a sport by the actions of all these NFL players who are always in jail and doing stupid stuff from dog fighting to beating their wife or homicide.

This is clear corruption IMO and it shows by how far they are reaching to justify their vote. Of course most of this info was sent to them by the culinary union.

3. Tops of on June 12th, 2013 4:45 AM

Maybe the dems read websites on mma….and sees a lot of hostile reactions from fans with violent pseudo names Hahahahaha…anything negative said about theyre sport..sets them off lol

4. BrainSmasher on June 12th, 2013 5:11 AM

Maybe they are like you and take the internet to serious. My name isnt violent. It’s a name of a movie you fool. And lol at you thinking my long posts and calling you a moron is me being hostile. I choose to use my words differently. If you or a to e else misinterpret them. That is your own problem. I feel it is a proper way of responding to a sad troll such as yourself.

Btw I welcome you and Simpltons presence. It is a telling sign of how badly boxing is declining.

5. Tops of on June 12th, 2013 5:52 AM

Boxing again? Hahaha
    So if a certain word is made into name/title of a movie then it automatically has a different meaning? I see…excellent logic…..

6. Diego on June 12th, 2013 6:19 AM

Typical political hypocrisy. Athletes of all sports have a tendency to act like jackasses, but MMA gets singled out from baseball, boxing, football, basketball, etc. Good job by the idiots in Albany. That’s my tax dollars at work.

7. Machiel Van on June 12th, 2013 6:39 AM

Meh. It’s still just a matter of time. I say that every year, but I continue to believe it. And if it never happens then oh well. It’d be nice but isn’t necessary.

8. Machiel Van on June 12th, 2013 6:40 AM

You know what ISN’T going to happen though? Station Casinos being unionized. Not going to happen and the Culinary Union will have wasted a lot of money for nothing.

9. Chris on June 12th, 2013 7:19 AM

Its an embarrassment that the sport isnt legal in NY but boxing, football etc are.

What a joke.

and seriously Tops why do you post here? You and Simple are clearly boxing trolls, why dont you guys go to boxing sites and talk about boxing?

10. Jon on June 12th, 2013 8:24 AM

NY is the only state where pro MMA is illegal. There are some who don’t regulate it (such as Alaska), but the Big Apple is alone with its ban.

11. Diego on June 12th, 2013 9:25 AM

I agree with MV. I would love MMA at Barclays and MSG, but I can also get on a train to the Pru in Newark. It’s not the end of the world for the sport, just a shame for New York.

12. BrainSmasher on June 12th, 2013 1:55 PM

Tops

Maybe you should learn something about etymology. Words can mean anything. What ever someone uses to communicate is what a word means. A word is only as good as the meaning behind it. People who know my name is a movie do not look at my name as a violent name. So kiss my a$$! Now was that being hostile? Or do I just want you to think I am being hostile? Hmmm!

13. Marc Ratner on June 12th, 2013 3:07 PM

FYI Montana and Alaska MMA is legal.. They have no Commissions in those States but not illegal. So 49 out of 50 States the sport of MMA is legal..

14. Tops of on June 12th, 2013 3:32 PM

B.s. So when you say UFC pays good money to 400 fighters you” just want everybody/or me”to think that they get payed well?……got it ..hmmm..hahaha

15. Tops of on June 12th, 2013 3:40 PM

Paid I mean….but it’s just a word hahaha

16. BrainSmasher on June 13th, 2013 3:21 AM

That doesn’t make sense. Also my posts are directed at someone. My name isnt. Your mush brain smoking yet?

17. Machiel Van on June 13th, 2013 6:57 AM

Tops: The legalization of MMA in New York is hampered by a labor issue unrelated to the sport, and most recently an unrelated political scandal. It does not reflect badly on the sport or the UFC, so there’s no need for fans to feel defensive as you claim.

BS: There’s nothing wrong with your username, and anyone who says otherwise is just attempting to engage people in nonsensical and pointless arguments.

18. Tops of on June 13th, 2013 1:26 PM

It makes perfect sense b.s. lol

19. ETS on June 14th, 2013 3:49 AM

thank god for the guys at GLORY or we’d have nothing good going on. i actually even prefer their brand of combat…