MTV’s “Caged” draws disappointing ratings

January 13, 2012

Variey reports that MTV’s “MMA” reality show “Caged” drew poor ratings in its debut. The show drew 619,000 viewers and only a 0.64 rating in the targeted 12-34 demographic.

The series features young, small town males trying to make it in the local MMA promotion. Unbeknownst to the MMA fan hoping to watch young, up and comers trying to make it up the ladder, many of the main characters are self-trained and are only looking to party and score girls. While the partying and girl problems may be an inherent part (for some) of being a young athlete, the series fell short on MMA.

Payout Perspective:

The debut did run opposite the BCS National Championship Game so that might be a reason for the lower than expected ratings. However, after seeing the first episode, many fans hoping to see an MMA reality show may not tune in again. The 10 episode run caters to a certain MTV reality audience interested in shows like “Teen Mom,” “Jersey Shore” and “The Theriot Family.” “Caged” served as the intro to “Shore” and “Theriot” on Monday night. While MMA fans were enticed by the MMA marketing, it was a disappointment.

7 Responses to “MTV’s “Caged” draws disappointing ratings”

1. Isaac on January 13th, 2012 11:39 PM

I saw some previews but did not watch any episode yet. It was disappointment like?

2. ted on January 14th, 2012 12:49 AM

That nmore then the UFC is drawing on the gasoline channel or zuffafarce, so not bad numbers

3. Honest Rob on January 14th, 2012 2:48 PM

1st episode was a pilot – lotsa set-up, but it still had great MMA action in the three featured fights.
    I expect monday’s 2nd episode will pull a much bigger share, especially since more fights and fighters are featured I read.
    I liked it, give it a look, it’s better than 99% of reality today, lotta heart.

4. Assassin on January 14th, 2012 3:35 PM

I watched it and found it to be a compelling show, but not really an MMA show. I would likely watch again if I remember, but it is not must see tv. 600k+ is not a bad number for MTV. Teen Mom (3MM) and of course Jersey Shore (7MM) are MTVs only real ratings winners. While below real world of about 1 million, it is competitive with the rest of MTVs offerings (like challenges).

Plus is double the Strikeforce ratings, lol.

5. 100 Rounds Clothing on January 16th, 2012 5:54 PM

Anything on MTV will have that appeal to people who already tune into the network. Not sure what most would expect from MTV but things don’t change, it’s all about drama and ratings.

6. Brandy on January 30th, 2012 5:17 PM

I LOVE CAGED and I hope they greenlight a second season. I also think that it is a must see like Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2 which I will never miss an episode of the teen moms and neither will I miss an episode of Caged.

7. Kerry on December 17th, 2013 1:41 PM

I think that Caged was a good show and that changing the time to improve ratings would be enticing the fans it would be great to see Caged back on again